Sugar Proof Your Skin!
There is so much new information about how our bodies process everything from data to diet, along with new information on how that changes as we age. However, one thing that does not change is how SUGAR effects our bodies and our skin.
Sugar causes glycation. What exactly is glycation? In science terms, it is the bonding of a sugar molecule to a protein or lipid molecule without enzymatic regulation. In layman's terms, sugar molecules will glom on to fats and proteins which will cause protein fibers to become stiff and malformed. Glycation hardens cardiovascular structures, alters our kidney's filtering system, and wrinkles our skin.
Here are several quick tips to help slow down glycation:
1. SURPRISE! Eat less sugar!
2. Know your dietary needs. Pay attention to your macros, i.e.; carb, protein, and fat ratio.
3. Make sure you are getting all of the essential amino acids necessary to build collagen.
4. Get enough sleep.
5. Stay well hydrated.
6. Stay away from tobacco smoke.
7. Moderate your alcohol intake - again it's the sugar.
8. Use sunscreen every day.
9. Last, but most important, is to BREATHE.